Just east of Grant’s birthplace, is the Grant Memorial Bridge that spans Big Indian Creek. The Bridge was dedicated as a memorial to General Ulysses S. Grant, eighteenth President of the United States, whose Point Pleasant birthplace is located near the west end of the bridge. The bridge was originally a steel truss structure which was dedicated in October, 1927. In 1985, it was replaced by a new bridge without the truss structure. It retains the ornamental cannons, beacons and stone work that were part of the original bridge.