The Patton subdivision was laid out in 1852 as a long, narrow strip of land that extended from the west bank of the Licking River westward almost to Madison Avenue, between what became East 15th (then Powell) and East 16th Streets. The Robert Patton/John G. Carlisle House is a largely intact two-story brick Greco-Italianate residence with an unusual double or H-shaped plan, in a large wooded lot in the south central part of Covington. Built by Robert Patton, a lawyer, realtor, and industrialist.
The residence has been associated with John G. Carlisle, one of Covington’s best-known and most successful citizens on the national as well as state and local level politics. John Griffin Carlisle (1835-1910), served as a Kentucky State Senator, Lieutenant Governor of Kentucky, U.S. Congressman, Speaker of the House, a U.S. Senator, and Secretary of the Treasury for President Grover Cleveland’s second term of office(1893-1897).
Carlisle once lived here, but never owned the property. So since it seems no other residences in Covington, believed to be associated with Carlisle, no longer exists, so the Patton House has also been recognized as the John G. Carlisle House.
In 1884, Valentine P. Collins, a prominent coal dealer and partner of the Covington Dock Co. and Marine Railway lived here from the 1880’s until his death in the early 20th century. Val P. Collins, Jr.(1861-1923), a well known Louisville architect, owned the home and replaced the original Greek Revival front porch with an “Eastlake” porch which you see today. The Collins family were related to Kentucky historian’s Lewis and Richard H. Collins.
photo: John G. Carlisle, Library of Congress