• General Search
  • Companies
  • Events
  • Blogs

Helentown Historic District

helentown
Roughly bounded by Eleventh and Wheeler Sts., Chesapeake & Ohio RR, and Madison Blvd. in Covington, Kentucky, The Helentown Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1987. Established in the 1820's, architecture in the area range from mid-19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival; Victorian: Italianate; Victorian: Queen Anne styles. The Patton House and Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption are located in the district.

Profile Description

The Helentown Historic District contains 840 buildings along or part of 37 blocks in Covington, Kentucky. The neighborhood is primarily made up of single-family and multi-family dwellings.   Among these are large duplexes, apartment buildings and rowhouses from the late 19th century.  Included in the district are the Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption, Carnegie library, the Robert Patton House, and several other churches and schools.

Founded in the early 1840s, by mostly working class German and Irish immigrants,  the district was subdivided and settled in 1880 by a largely working class population who labored in Covington factories and shops. The district still retains many German names and traditions.  Many variations of Greek Revival, Italianate and Queen Anne designed homes still exist in the area.  The district also contains one of the largest and best remaining concentrations of brick and frame Victorian architecture in the city.

East llth Street forms the northern boundary of the Helentown District. To the north of the district is the Downtown Commercial District, the Jacob Price Projects, and the southern boundary of the Emery-Price district. To the west is Madison Avenue, on the south is the C & O railroad embankment and on the east is the Licking River Floodwall. Between Madison and Scott streets are four contributing structures including two Queen Anne houses, and the Covington Latin School.   In the block between Madison and Wood is one structure, the three-story Bishop Toebbe House built prior to 1877 and remodeled into the Queen Anne style.  Named for Augustus Toebbe(1829-1884), bishop of Covington(1869-1884), Toebbe was responsible for bringing the Sisters of Notre Dame to the diocese, who still remain an important part of the diocesan operations.

 

 

Your Rating

Rate the Facilities & Grounds
Rate The Staff
Rate the Family friendliness
Overall

Leave a Comment