The church stands on the site of the old tannery that provided employment for Ulysses S. Grant’s father Jesse Root Grant. Jesse Grant was a Whig with abolitionist sentiments and a member of the Methodist Church. In the fall of 1823, the family moved to the village of Georgetown in Brown County, Ohio. Unlike his younger siblings, Ulysses was neither baptized nor forced to attend church by his Methodist parents; for the rest of his life, he prayed privately and never officially joined any denomination.
Today, The Grant Memorial Church serves a United Methodist congregation. The structure stands directly behind the Grant Birthplace in Point Pleasant, Ohio. The Grants never attended this church, it was not built until 1929, long after they moved away from Point Pleasant.