After the American Civil War, the Cincinnati Southern Railroad Company was looking for a way to enter the southern market. Many Northern Kentucky communities sent proposals as to the location of the rail line. The towns of Timberlake(now Erlanger) and Florence, Kentucky won out.
In 1874, the Cincinnati Southern Railroad voted to build a bridge across the Ohio River and to lay track along the route of the Lexington Pike to Florence. Soonafter, the Erlanger Land Syndicate filed a plan with the Kenton County Clerk of Courts with the intention to create the Erlanger Proper Subdivision. The Erlanger depot was built in 1877, and on May 31, 1887, the city of Erlanger, Kentucky was established. The community was named after the Parisian family bank of Emile d’Erlanger which helped finance the town’s early development.
The railroad depot, located in the Erlanger Proper Subdivision became one of the first planned subdivisions in Northern Kentucky. The depot is the last remaining wooden depot between Cincinnati and Chattanooga. Roughly bounded by Hulbert, Division, Crescent, Dixie, and Graves, the Erlanger Proper Subdivision Historic District is a nearly exclusively residential historic district of fifty acres. It consists of a physically-cohesive group of two hundred twenty-six properties, of which two hundred twenty-four are buildings and two are non-contributing structures. Except for major modifications to the Dixie Highway which brought about the loss of most of Erlanger’s historic commercial architecture, the district retains much of the character which it had at the end of the Period of Significance shortly after World War II.
This parcel of land was accepted into the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.
photo: The Q & C Depot, http://www.nkyviews.com/kenton/subs/erlanger04.htm