The earliest owner of the building was well respected physician, Dr. Ishmael. In 1927, Dr. Edward Putney Guerrant turned the home into the Guerrant Clinic and Hospital, which operated until the early 1970s. Dr. Edward Owings Guerrant practiced medicine here until 1985. The building last served as a clinic in 1989.
The museum is housed in the former medical clinic, and has preserved some of the clinic’s medical instruments, as well as the third floor’s operating room. In 2009, the museum became home to the collection of the Pioneer Telephone Museum, formerly located in Winchester’s Bell South building. This collection includes antique crank phones, early switchboards, and other telephone memorabilia.