|Name||Blue Heron Coal Mining Camp (Blue Heron, Kentucky)|
|Legal Entity||Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area|
|Full Address||United States, Stearns, Kentucky, Hwy 742 Daniel Boone National Forest|
Blue Heron was operated as a company town of the Stearns Coal and Lumber Company. Its coal mines opened in 1937 and operated until December 1962, when theunderground mines closed down for lack of profitability. The town was abandoned, and its buildings were either removed or decayed. The community was “re-created” in the 1980s as an outdoor museum. Some of the original structures have been replicated as open, metal shells of buildings, referred to as “ghost structures,” on the approximate sites of the original buildings. Structures include a railroad depot, a full-scale model of the coal tipple, a school, and homes. Photographic exhibits and audio programs in the ghost structures tell about various aspects of life in the isolated mining community.
photo: Coal tipple at Blue Heron, Brian Stansberry, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Heron,_Kentucky#mediaviewer/File:Blue-heron-tipple-ky1.jpg