In 1904 the Clay family hired the architectural firm of the Olmsted Brothers of Brookline, Massachusetts to construct a residential neighborhood on the 600-acre estate. Constructed over a 15-year period, the development was completed around 1930. The lots sold for approximately $2,500 each, with deed restrictions on the most prominent lots. Ashland Park Historic District is located adjacent to Ashland, Henry Clay Estate off of East Main St. The houses in the district are private residences and are not open to the public.
photo: Henry Clay standing, by John Sartain, Library of Congress